Areas of Interest
Improved Pharma is a research and information company dedicated to improving pharmaceutical methods, formulations, and processes. With a wide range of Synchrotron-based X-ray services available due to our agreements with Argonne National Laboratory and our experience in working there, we can provide critical research studies and information related to:
- Analytical methods using the most sensitive and precise X-ray methods available
- Sameness Studies of amorphous samples from spray drying and melt extrusion
- Structure analysis of solvates, hydrates, polymorphs, and liquid crystals produced in polymorph screening including crystal structure from powder diffraction
- Analytical Characterization for solids, in general
- Improved formulations of existing products
- Determination of detection limit and amounts of crystalline material in an amorphous formulation
- Formulation of Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors and other poorly soluble compounds
- Determination of maximum solubility of an amorphous form of a new
drug under development using novel approaches such as amorphous complexes.
- Assessment of the risk of a formulation (typically phase 2 or 3) undergoing crystallization or phase transformation or other unwanted changes at any time including manufacturing scale-up
- Problem solving involving formulations failing dissolution or bioavailability or other specifications
- Intellectual property management
- Regulatory information
- Short courses and webinars
Synchrotron methods are now ready for consistent application in the pharmaceutical industry
Improved Pharma recognizes the advantages of greatly improved information from Synchrotron studies augmented by other information including NMR, Raman, and dissolution studies. We believe that this combination of information will provide unique advantages over standard structure, formulation, and design information. Further, because of the major improvements in information available from a Synchrotron, we do not view standard formulation and analytical providers as competitors but rather collaborators. Paired with traditional solid-state analytical techniques, Synchrotron data enhances the information about drugs and drug formulations to provide a deeper level of understanding that leads to better decisions, faster approvals, and stronger patent protection.
Improved Pharma Offers the Best X-ray Methods Available
For the last 5 years, Improved Pharma has carried out a number of proprietary studies at Argonne National Laboratory, and especially beamlines 6-ID-D and 11-BM. Beamline 11-BM is optimized for powder diffraction analysis of crystals and formulations containing crystalline materials and beamline 6-ID-D is optimized for total scattering analysis of amorphous materials and formulations. Both of these beamlines are among the best two or three beamlines in the world for their particular analysis. Improved Pharma has the required arrangements with the US Department of Energy to use these facilities for proprietary measurements. Further, Improved Pharma has gained valuable experience analyzing and interpreting the results from these beamlines. Improved Pharma also has the proper agreements to carry out proprietary studies at the Industrial Pharmacy Services Laboratory and at charge-back X-ray diffraction, NMR, and porcine pharmacology centers at Purdue University. The COO of Improved Pharma, Pam Smith, is responsible for all studies and has access to consultants and technicians needed to carry out all of the studies in a highly accurate, professional manner.
Meet Our Team
Improved Pharma is a research and information company dedicated to improving pharmaceutical methods, formulations, and processes.
“Solid state chemistry is the underpinning of many of the most exciting advancements in drug development and quality in the past two decades. By utilizing synchrotron technology many new advances are possible, as we move into a new golden age of pharmaceuticals and attack many of the most difficult and troublesome diseases. By attacking these diseases, we have a chance to improve longevity and quality of life on a global scale”
“Using the highest energy, brightest sources available”
“Solving solubility problems using the best methods available”
Analytical Testing Services
“Testing, understanding, monitoring, and controlling drug development”
“Working together to improve and protect your intellectual property”
Solving Pharmaceutical Problems
We are a research and information company dedicated to improving pharmaceutical methods, formulations, and processes.